This recipe is a scrumptious addition to any English Tea Service and is from my book David Rosengarten Entertains.
Makes 24 rolled sandwiches
8 thin slices of whole wheat bread
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
12 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Place the bottom edge of one slice of bread in front of you. Using a rolling pin, roll bread away from you until it’s about one-eighth inch thick. Remove crusts. Repeat until all 8 slices are rolled out with crusts removed.
2. Mix the cream cheese with the dill and spread evenly over each slice of bread.
3. Arrange the smoked salmon on the cream cheese, trying to cover the whole surface without overlapping salmon slices. Sprinkle salmon with lemon juice, dividing it evenly among the eight sandwiches. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Working with your fingers, roll the bread slices away from you, tightly, as if you were making jelly rolls. Press down on the seam. You will now have eight cylinders. Cut each cylinder into 3 pinwheel chunks, like a sushi roll, yielding 24 pieces.
5. Serve immediately, or hold as described above.
The platter on which you serve these may be garnished with fresh dill and lemon, if desired.
Photo courtesy of Bigstock